The equivocal Ehud Olmert government of subserviance to the US and appeasement of terrorists continues to cave to American “pressure”
rewarding terror with victory after victory. The equivocation of the government of Israel negates the IDF’s military credibility and strategic deterrence while perpetrating a massive Chillul Hashem by discrediting our Divine right to the Land. MB
U.S. ‘Very Surprised’ at Extent of Israeli Concessions, by Gil Ronen (Israel National News)
Israeli diplomatic sources said Sunday that the American delegation was very surprised at the extent of Israeli concessions to the Fatah-controlled “Palestinian Authority” (PA) announced by Defense Minister Ehud Barak. However, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was quick to say that they were not enough, and vowed to monitor Israel’s execution of its promises.
The latest Israeli concessions to the PA in Judea and Samaria include permission for construction of two new Arab neighborhoods in the Ramallah area, with a total of 5,000 to 8,000 housing units. In addition, about 50 dirt roadblocks in Samaria will be removed, thus enabling vehicular traffic between Jenin, Tulkarm, Kalkilya and Ramallah, and the permanent checkpoint in the Rimonim area will be removed.
Israel Mulls PA Troops in Hebron, by Yaakov Katz (Jerusalem Post)
25 APCs, 125 more vehicles
The Israeli concessions also included the following:
1. PA “police” stations will open in some areas under joint Israeli and PA control.
2. 700 PA “police” personnel will be deployed in the Jenin area, once they return from training in Jordan. Ultimate security responsibility will remain in Israel’s hands.
3. Additional roadblocks and checkpoints in Judea and Samaria are to be removed by mid-May.
4. 25 APC’s – out of 50 originally requested – and 125 additional vehicles and pieces of logistical equipment will be delivered to PA/Fatah hands.
5. Various restrictions on the movement of public figures will be eased.
6. Various restrictions on the movement of businessmen will be eased.
7. An additional 5,000 permits will be issued for construction work by Arabs in Israel (the current quota is approximately 18,500).
8. The Sha’ar Ephraim Crossing for will be opened for commercial activity on Fridays.
9. Israel will allow the passage of businessmen from Arab countries, the United Kingdom, Turkey, the PA and Israel on a VIP footing (without checks) through Ben-Gurion International Airport, for the Bethlehem Economic Conference for Investors in May. Israeli businessmen will be allowed to enter Bethlehem for the conference. Businessmen attending the conference will be allowed to move in organized groups in Judea and Samaria cities, and into Israel (including Jerusalem and Nazareth).
10. Industrial Zones will be established in Jericho, Hevron (Tarkumiyah) and Mukibla. The Tarkumiya Industrial Zone will receive Turkish financing. Another industrial zone will be established in Yericho (Jericho) for the processing and marketing abroad of PA agricultural produce. Japan and Jordan will be involved in this project.
A statement issued after the talks went on to say that “the parties have completed connection of 27 Palestinian villages in [Judea and Samaria] to the Israeli power grid and, in an unprecedented action, have connected Jericho to the Jordan power grid.”